Building control registers

The Building Safety Regulator (BSR) will establish:

  • a register of building inspectors, across both public and private sectors
  • a register of building control approvers

with corresponding registration criteria.

Registration criteria

The registration criteria and processes are being developed and include:

  • commitment to a code of conduct for registered building inspectors (RBIs)
  • a competence framework for RBIs
  • professional conduct rules against which registered building control approvers (RBCAs) will be held to account

The code of conduct and professional conduct rules are likely to incorporate standards for:

  • honesty
  • integrity
  • professional conduct
  • fairness
  • legal compliance
  • insurance
  • independence
  • accountability
  • governance arrangements
  • managing conflicts of interest

Related content

Visit GOV.UK for more information about building safety reforms:

Is this page useful?

Updated 2023-03-31