Legal requirements: A summary
Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015)
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 came into force in Great Britain on 6 April 2015.
CDM 2015 is divided into five parts:
- Part 1 deals with the application of CDM 2015 and definitions
- Part 2 covers the duties of clients for all construction projects. These duties apply in full for commercial clients. However, the duties for domestic clients normally pass to other dutyholders
- Part 3 covers the health and safety duties and roles of other dutyholders, including:
- Part 4 contains general requirements for all construction sites
- Part 5 contains transitional arrangements and revocations
HSE has published Legal Series guidance that supports CDM 2015 and explains it in more detail. HSE will seek views later in 2015 on whether to replace this guidance with an Approved Code of Practice, which many in the industry indicated they would prefer in the 2014 public consultation.