Submitting public information to the Competent Authority
The Control Of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 2015 (COMAH)
These notes are for operators of COMAH establishments and describe the arrangements for making certain information available to the public.
They explain what is happening to ensure provision of this information, when and how that will happen and what operators will need to do.
- The new Regulations introduce a requirement for certain information about the hazards associated with dangerous substances at COMAH establishments and other matters to be made publicly available by the Competent Authority (CA).
- The Regulations came into force on 1 June 2015. However, you do not have to do anything immediately. The CA will contact you to explain what you have to do and by when. This is because establishments’ information is being made available to the public in a phased manner, starting from 1 June 2015. Your information will be published on the HSE website.
- We have published guidance for you to use when providing your public information. You may wish to refer to this at your earliest opportunity.
- The CA has worked with industry partners to develop a straightforward form that captures most information through pre-determined statements. You simply need to complete any required details (eg name and address fields) and select all the statements applicable to your establishment(s).
- A number of operators worked with us to develop the public information template. Their completed returns formed the first delivery phase of the current roll-out programme.
- Submissions of public information by remaining operators will follow during the summer.
- The public will be able to search for your establishment’s published information by operator name, establishment name or postcode (there is no option to search on the type of substance held). They will then find your details, which will include the controls in place to reduce the likelihood of a major accident at your establishment.
- All establishments are required to complete the public information form. It is in two parts: Part 1 to be completed for all establishments and Part 2 for Upper Tier establishments only. We will contact you about what you have to do and by when.
- Further information on the COMAH Regulations 2015 is contained in the publication Guidance - Control of Major Accident Hazards Regulations 2015 (L111)