5. First aiders and training

You might decide that you need someone trained in first aid, sometimes known as a first aider.

There are no hard and fast rules on how many trained first aiders you should have. It depends on the nature of your work and its location.

First aiders are trained by a competent training provider in:

  • emergency first aid at work (EFAW) – at this level they're qualified to give emergency first aid to someone who is injured or becomes ill while at work
  • first aid at work (FAW) – qualified to EFAW level but can also apply first aid to a range of specific injuries and illnesses

First aid training

Use the findings of your first aid needs assessment to decide:

  • if you need someone trained in first aid
  • what's an adequate and appropriate level of training
  • how many people you train

Keep training up to date with regular refresher courses.

HSE approved first aid training

The only first aid training HSE approves is for specialists on offshore installations.

Finding the right first aid training for your workplace

You're responsible for making sure whoever trains your employees is competent.

There are four types of provider to choose from. They offer:

  • regulated qualifications from an awarding organisation (AO) – these are recognised and regulated by Ofqual, the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) or the Welsh Government
  • voluntary approval schemes, such as a trade body accredited by a third party – the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) is the national accreditation body recognised by government
  • independent training where the provider can prove their competence
  • training from one of the three Voluntary Aid Societies recognised by the government:
    • St John Ambulance
    • British Red Cross
    • St Andrew's First Aid

Is this page useful?