Workers who drive or ride for work – your health and safety

If you drive vehicles or ride powered two-wheelers (including motorcycles, mopeds and scooters) or bicycles on the road as part of your work activity, your employer must manage health and safety risks to you. Health and safety law applies to work activities on the road in the same way as it does on a fixed site.

This applies if you are an employee or engaged to carry out work in the gig economy, including if you are a:

The law applies if you use your own vehicle or a company vehicle for a work-related journey, apart from commuting (driving to and from your home and your usual place of work).

What your employer must do

Your employer has specific duties to protect you. Our guidance for employers includes advice on:

  • providing you with relevant training
  • planning journeys so they are safe for you
  • keeping you safe
  • protecting your health and wellbeing

What you must do

You have health and safety responsibilities too:

  • You have a duty to take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of other people who may be affected by your actions at work, for example make sure you don’t drive tired or tell your employer if you are taking medication that may affect your ability to drive
  • You must co-operate with your employment business and the end user where you are working, including participating in any necessary health and safety training and instruction
  • It is your responsibility to use any vehicle provided in line with the training you receive, and to inform the person that provided the vehicle if it is damaged
  • You must carry out checks as required to make sure your vehicle is safe to use on the road, is serviced, insured and has a valid MOT

If you sub-contract your work, you must make sure they are competent.

Find out if health and safety law applies to you if you're self-employed.

How to raise any concerns

If you're concerned about health and safety risks to you as a driver or rider, talk to:

  • your employer
  • a manager or supervisor
  • a health and safety representative

All workers are entitled to work in an environment where the risks to their health and safety are properly controlled.

If you are a gig, agency or temporary worker then your health and safety is protected by law and employment businesses/agencies have a duty to make sure that they follow it.

Is this page useful?