The Approved List of biological agents
The Approved List of biological agents and associated guidance are prepared by the Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) at the request of the Health and Safety Executive.
The Approved List provides the approved classification of biological agents as referred to in COSHH. It is relevant to risk assessment for work with biological agents and the application of appropriate control measures.
It is for use by people who deliberately work with biological agents, especially those in research, development, teaching or diagnostic laboratories and industrial processes, or those who work with humans or animals who are (or are suspected to be) infected with such an agent in health and animal care facilities.
This edition includes the following changes:
- some previously unlisted viruses have been classified and added to the list
- the hazard group classification for existing agents has been reviewed and reclassified where appropriate
- further information has been included to clarify the classification of some agents
- if a biological agent has also been assigned a classification under the Specified Animal Pathogens Order (SAPO) is now indicated on the list
- advice on available vaccines has been updated
- improvements to style and structure