Health and safety in swimming pools
- Date of publication:
- Series code:
- Download a free copy - HSG179
This publication provides guidance for all those involved in the operation and management of swimming pools.
This is the fourth edition of Managing health and safety in swimming pools (first published as Safety in swimming pools). The revision brings the guidance up to date with changes in health and safety law and new developments in relation to equipment and facilities. It has been co-written with stakeholders from across the leisure industry to set out the measures to take to reduce risks and comply with the law.
This edition of the guidance no longer contains detailed information on swimming pool design or pool water treatment. The guidance is intended to be read online so that full use can be made of the links to more detailed or additional HSE and industry guidance.
The fourth edition has been reissued with minor amendments to:
- reflect changes to British Standards
- clarify the competencies required by swimming teachers
- clarify requirements relating to PPE and work in confined spaces
- include information on small rafts and inflatable toys