7. More advice on pregnant workers and new mothers
As well as health and safety law, pregnant workers and new mothers have other rights when they are at work.
It is unlawful to dismiss, discriminate against or harass a worker because they are pregnant or a new mother.
Pregnant workers may be entitled to paid maternity leave and paid time off for ante-natal appointments.
Other organisations offering advice on these rights
- GOV.UK provides information on pregnant employees’ rights and maternity pay and leave
- Acas (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) offers free, confidential, and impartial advice on maternity, paternity and adoption leave and pay as well as accommodating breastfeeding employees in the workplace
- The EHRC (Equality and Human Rights Commission) provide a statutory code of practice on the Equality Act 2010, and guidance on managing pregnancy and maternity in the workplace
- The NHS website offers information on work and pregnancy