You can help us improve our website by completing a short survey.
These pages provide:
- an overview of what health and safety management means
- advice on finding the right guidance for your business
- practical steps to manage health and safety in small, low-risk businesses
- relevant health and safety laws
What managing health and safety means
As an employer, you are responsible for managing health and safety in your business. This includes managing risks and taking practical steps to protect workers and others from harm.
Managing risk is just one part of health and safety management. You must also have arrangements in place to:
- make the right plans
- implement those plans
- check they are working
- act if they are not
By doing this, you should be able to ensure:
- your risks stay controlled
- you provide a safe working environment for workers and others
The measures you put in place should be part of your everyday processes for managing your business.
For most small, low-risk businesses you don’t need a formal management system. By following a simple Plan, Do, Check, Act approach you can effectively manage health and safety in your workplace.