First check the direct advice sheets listed by industry to see if there are any direct advice sheets for tasks or processes in your industry. If your industry is not listed don't worry, you can use our e-tool to identify which generic control guidance sheets are appropriate.
COSHH Essentials sets out basic advice on what to do to control exposure to hazardous substances in the workplace. It takes the form of straightforward advice in ‘factsheets’ called ‘control guidance sheets’. There are two types of sheets, industry-specific ‘direct advice sheets’ and ‘generic control guidance sheets’.
Direct advice sheets
When using the tool you will be prompted by questions to enter some basic information about the substance you are using, before being directed to the most appropriate generic control guidance sheet for you.
Frequently asked questions
Popular direct advice sheets
- WL0 – welding, cutting and allied tasks: advice for managers
- FD0 – Foundry (silica): advice for managers
- BK0 – Brick & tile (silica): advice for managers
- CN7 – Construction (silica): abrasive blasting
- CN6 – Construction (silica): cutting paving and kerbstones
- ST3 – Stonemasons (silica): hand-held rotary tools
- MVR0 – Motor vehicle repair: advice for managers
- WD0 – Woodworkers: advice for managers