Machining with metalworking fluids
These information sheets will help managers of workshops using metalworking fluids comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002.
Metalworking fluids [MW]
MW0: Advice for managers
- Advice for managersThis information will help managers to comply with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH), as amended, to control exposure and protect workers’ health.
MW1: CNC machining
- CNC machiningThis sheet describes good control practice using engineering controls to reduce exposure to metalworking fluid (MWF) mists during Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) machining.
- G402: Health surveillance for occupational asthma
- G406: The sheet describes good practice on designing, installing,commissioning, maintaining and testing engineering controls such as extraction equipment to control airborne contaminants. It covers the points you need to have clear in any contract concerning new or existing engineering controls.
- Managing fluid quality (MW5)
MW2: Control of skin risks during machining
- Control of skin risks during machiningThis sheet describes good control practice to reduce skin exposure to metalworking fluid (MWF). For guidance on inhalation risks during CNC machining see MW1 CNC Machining.
MW3: Sump cleaning: water-mix fluids
- Sump cleaning: water-mix fluidsThis sheet describes good control practice to reduce inhalation of metalworking fluid mist and contact with the skin during sump cleaning where water-mix fluids have been used.
MW4: Sump cleaning: neat oils
- Sump cleaning: neat oilsThis sheet describes good control practice to reduce skin exposure to neat oil metalworking fluids (MWF) during sump cleaning.
MW5: Managing fluid quality
- Managing fluid qualityThis sheet describes good practice to manage fluid quality of water-mix metalworking fluids (MWF).