Violence at work
Findings from the Crime Survey for England and Wales and the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences and Regulations.
The number of violent incidents at work has declined over the last decade, with the incident rate remaining stable over the last five years
Findings from the 2014/15 Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) show that:
- The risk of work related violence in the show that, the risk of being a victim of actual or threatened violence at work is similar in 2014/15 to the last few years, with an estimated 1.2 per cent of working adults the victims of one or more violent incidents at work.
- In 2014/15 285,000 adults of working age in employment experienced work related violence including threats and physical assault.
- There were estimated 569,000 incidents of violence at work according to the 2014/15 CSEW, comprising 308,000 assaults and 261,000 threats. This compares to an estimated 583,000 incidents in 2013/14. This change is not statistically significant.
- The 2014/15 CSEW found that 1.1% of women and 1.3% of men were victims of violence at work once or more during the year prior to their interview.
- It is estimated that 58% of victims reported one incident of work related violence whilst 20% experienced two incidents of work related violence and 21% experienced three or more incidents in 2014/15.
- Strangers were the offenders in 54% of cases of workplace violence. Among the 46% of incidents where the offender was known, the offenders were most likely to be clients or a member of the public known through work.
- The survey found 58% per cent of violence at work resulted in no physical injury, of the remaining 42% of cases, minor bruising or a black eye accounted for the majority of the injuries recorded.
- RIDDOR reported 4,810 injuries to employees, where the ‘kind of accident’ was ‘physical assault/act of violence’ in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland). This represents 6.3% of all reported workplace injuries. Of this figure, there were two deaths. (RIDDOR, 2014/15)
Number of incidents of violence at work for adults of working age in employment 2004/05 to 2014/15 (CSEW)