First aid at work
The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations 1981. Guidance on Regulation
- Date of publication:
- Series code:
- L74 (Third edition)
- Download a free copy
This guidance is for employers. It sets out what you need to do to address first-aid provision in the workplace.
It provides guidance on:
- managing the provision of first aid (first-aid kit, equipment, rooms etc)
- requirements and training for first-aiders
- requirements for appointed persons
- making employees aware of first-aid arrangements
- first aid and the self-employed
- cases where first-aid regulations do not apply
The publication is aimed at all industries, although specific guidance on first aid in mines, offshore and diving is covered in separately.
This third edition takes account of the amendment to regulation 3(2), which removes the requirement for HSE to approve the training and qualifications of appointed first-aid personnel, and to incorporate some additional amendments brought about by other previous legislative changes.