Exposure to Lead
Lead workers under medical surveillance in Great Britain, 2021/22
Lead workers suspended from work due to excess blood-lead levels, 2021/22
- 4,186 (94%) of the workers under surveillance were male and 252 (6%) female.
- One young male (under 18 years old) was under medical surveillance.
- The smelting, refining, alloying and casting sector accounted for the highest number of males under medical surveillance during the three-year period 2019/20-2021/22.
- Working with metallic lead and lead containing alloys accounted for the highest number of females under medical surveillance during the three-year period 2019/20-2021/22.
- 38 male workers had a blood-lead level at or above 50µg/100ml recorded.
- Five female workers had a blood-lead at or above 25µg/100ml level recorded.
- 22 lead workers were suspended from work, 1 of which was female.
Full report on exposure to lead
Exposure to Lead in Great Britain, 2022
Full report on historical trends of exposure to lead
Medical Surveillance of Blood-Lead Levels, 1992/93 – 2009/10