Medical examination and assessment of working divers (MA1)
- Date of publication:
- Series code:
- MA1 (rev5)
This document replaces the previous version of MA1 published in 2015, following a review by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). The publication explains how Approved Medical Examiners of Divers (AMEDs) should conduct fitness to dive assessments on working divers for the purposes of the Diving at Work Regulations 1997. It reflects the need to protect the health, safety and welfare of divers at work.
Key changes from the previous version of MA1 are listed below but it is important that AMEDs read the guidance in full as it also contains additional updates, for example to administrative processes.
- The flow chart to aid interpretation of BMI and waist circumference has been replaced with updated guidance
- The flow chart to aid interpretation of VO2 max values has been replaced with a table
- The section on the respiratory system contains updated guidance on asthma
- The section on the cardiovascular system contains additional guidance on dysrhythmia
- Neurological conditions now include a single seizure
- The section on mental health has been updated and now contains guidance on ADHD
- The section on ENT has been expanded to include additional information
- The medical questionnaire has been updated and is reproduced in Appendix 1. It will continue to be available as a standalone document on HSE’s diving web pages
- The Diver’s Medical Record has been updated and is reproduced in Appendix 3 and will continue to be available as a standalone document on HSE’s diving web pages
- The cardiac screening tool has been updated and is in Appendix 4