Where are the hazards?
Print workers are exposed to a range of hazardous substances, including chemicals, during the course of their work.
What are the risks?
Working with isocyanate-based adhesives can cause dermatitis and asthma.
How to control
- Consider using isocyanate-free products
- Prevent exposure to substances that can cause occupational asthma
- Control exposure to stop asthma developing by using and checking ventilation systems regularly
- Check the safety datasheet – avoid products containing HDI, IPDI or TDI
- If you do need to use an isocyanate-based product, choose one containing MDI, which is less volatile
Remember: Risks to health are greatly reduced where exposure to chemicals and fumes is controlled.