3. Consult workers about health surveillance
You must consult your workers and their representatives. Health surveillance only works with their co-operation. Consultation can help increase worker’s commitment to health surveillance and compliance with control measures.
Ask workers what they think the health hazards are in your workplace. They can:
- help you identify workplace risks
- make sure your controls are practical
Make sure workers understand:
- the systems you have put in place to control identified risks and your health surveillance scheme
- why health surveillance is important and what it is for
- what will happen if ill health is identified
- they can attend health surveillance appointments during work time, and you as the employer must pay for the surveillance
- their own duties in law (for example they must attend appointments)
- what action you may take if they refuse to attend appointments
Find out more about consulting workers.