Using a health and safety consultant or adviser


Usually, managing health and safety isn't complicated and you can do it yourself with the help of your workers. You know your workplace best and the risks associated with it.

If there's a competent person within your workforce, use them in preference to a competent person from outside your business.

You may need help and advice from someone outside if your business:

  • is large, complex or high risk
  • doesn't have the competence to manage health and safety in-house

If you use a consultant or adviser from outside your business make sure they are competent, suitable and that you will get the help you need.

As the employer, managing health and safety will still be your legal duty, even if you use someone from outside your business.

Is this page useful?