Accountability for Regulator Impact
Regulators are responsible for producing impact assessments for changes in policy which have the force of law. They do not need to produce an impact assessment when changing their operational policies, processes or practices.
However, such changes can have important impacts on the businesses they regulate. This is why regulators are now required to produce ‘Business Engagement Assessments’ for significant changes in the burden of regulatory activity on business such as :
- changes to non statutory guidance;
- moves from paper-based to electronic reporting;
- new or amended information obligations;
- changes to or new standards;
- changes to an inspection, enforcement or licensing framework or regime (but not individual enforcement decisions or changes to individual licenses);
- changes in the regulator’s provision of information, advice or training to businesses.
HSE’s Business Engagement Assessments
HSE has no Business Engagement Assessments at present.