Try it out
In this section you can watch videos of repetitive tasks and use these to practise making assessments with the ART tool. After making your assessment, you can compare your findings with a consensus of experienced users. We hope this will help you to learn how to use the ART tool before trying it out in the workplace.
Before you start
Before watching the videos we advise that you:
- Review the previous pages about learning to use the ART tool
- Watch a demonstration of how to use the ART tool
- Printout or obtain a copy of the ART tool. This is required to assess the risks in the videos.
- You may find it helpful to print out additional score sheets if you wish to make more than one assessment.
What to do
There are five videos of repetitive tasks. For each video, there is a task description that provides information about the task that you cannot obtain from the video.
- When you select a video, read the task description first and use this information to help you complete the task description form.
- Watch the video and, referring to the ART tool, make an assessment of the task.
- Record your assessment on the score sheet.
- When you have finished your assessment, scroll down the page to compare your scores to an assessment that was done by a group of experienced users.
- Move your cursor over the colour band if you want more information about why a factor was given a particular score.
Choose two or three videos and practise making an assessment of these tasks until you feel ready to use the ART tool in the workplace.
- Book binding - This video shows a worker placing the pages of a book into a machine, aligning the outer cover over the pages and pinching to bind the book together
- Jogging sheets - This video shows a worker lifting reams of large paper sheets from a bench across to a machine. During the lift, the sheets are 'jogged' and fanned to separate them.
- Collating papers - This video shows a worker collating papers from separate piles into a document, which will eventually be bound together.
- Whisky carton assembly - This video shows a worker assembling a whisky carton and using a glue gun to attach the base of the container.
- Croissant curling - This video shows a worker curling croissants into a crescent as they pass on a conveyor.