- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
American member-based organisation for occupational and environmental health, with many publications.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
Actionable information on national, regional, international standards and conformity assessment issues.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
International technical society of heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration.
- British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS)
5/6 Melbourne Business Court, Millennium Way, Pride Park, Derby DE24 8LZ Tel: 01332 298101
Incorporates the Faculty of Occupational Hygiene, which is an examining body in the field of LEV. The Faculty publishes a Directory of Occupational Hygiene Consultants.
- British Standards Institution
A leading global provider of management systems assessment and certification solutions.
- Building Engineering Services Association (BESA)
Lincoln House, 137-143 Hammersmith Road, London, W14 0QL. Tel: 0207 313 4900.
The main representative organisation for companies installing ventilation systems including LEV. Useful publications include DW series.
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
(CIBSE), 222 Balham High Road, London SW12 9BS Tel: 020 8675 5211
For engineers designing heating, ventilation and air conditioning services: professional qualifications.
- Chemical Industries Association (CIA)
Kings Buildings, Smith Square, London SW1P 3JJ. Tel: 020 7834 3399
The UK trade association for the chemical industries.
- Confederation of British Industry (CBI)
Regionally organised, the CBI represents British Industry.
- EEF - The Manufacturers' Association
Broadway House, Tothill Street, London SW1H 9NQ Tel: 020 7222 7777
Provides a range of health and safety services to members.
- Fan Manufacturers' Association (FMA)
Principles and practice of air extract/supply system design, and offers guidance on fan selection to ensure that such systems perform their intended function efficiently.
- The Federation of Environmental Trade Associations
The representative body for LEV manufacturers and suppliers.
- Independent National Inspection and Testing
Represents independent companies that conduct inspection and certification of equipment, including LEV systems.
- Institute of Diagnostic Engineers
Professional institute for people who are concerned with servicing and maintenance of machines and structures, and the effectiveness or engineering plant.
- Institute of Local Exhaust Ventilation Engineers (ILEVE)
ILEVE has been established to promote air quality in the workplace and to reduce ill health and death due to airborne contamination and hazardous substances in the working environment.
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
The Grange, Highfield Drive, Wigston, Leicestershire LE18 1NN. Tel: 0116 257 3100
Leading body for health and safety professionals. Gives advice on choice of LEV systems.
- Safety Assessment Federation (SAFED)
Unit 4, First Floor, 70 South Lambeth Road, Vauxhall, London SW8 1RL Tel: 020 7582 3208
Represents many insurance companies that conduct inspection and certification of equipment, including LEV systems.
- Solids Handling and Processing Association (SHAPA)
Represents the major employers in LEV manufacturing.
- Trades Union Congress (TUC)
Congress House, Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3LS Tel: 020 7637 4030
Gives health and safety advice to members. (See also individual unions, eg UNITE).
- UK Accreditation Service (UKAS)
21-47 High Street, Feltham, Middlesex TW13 4UN Tel: 020 8917 8400
Accreditation of various professional activities. UKAS accreditation scheme for 'Thorough examination and test'. Controlling airborne contaminants at work.
HSE is not responsible for, and cannot guarantee the accuracy of, information on sites that it does not manage; nor should the inclusion of a hyperlink be taken to mean endorsement by the HSE of the site to which it points.