Falls from height
What you will find on this page
This page provides information on working at height. It offers event organisers and workers advice and guidance to comply with the law and work safely at height.
Your duties as an event organiser
As the organiser, you must make sure that:
- no work is done at height if it is safe and reasonably practicable to do it on the ground
- work is properly planned, appropriately supervised, and carried out in as safe a way as is reasonably practicable
- work at height takes account of weather conditions that could endanger health and safety
- those working at height are competent
- the risks from work at height are assessed and appropriate work equipment is selected and used
- equipment for work at height is properly inspected and maintained
- the risks from fragile surfaces are properly controlled
- there is a plan for emergencies and rescue
For more information on your legal duties, see The Work at Height Regulations.
What you should know
Provisional figures for 2010/11 show that 20 employees died and 3957 suffered major injury in Britain after work-related falls from height.