Manufacture / supply / store chemicals

This page gives information about legislation relating to Health and Safety that manufacturers and suppliers of chemicals need to know about, and also links to guidance on HSE inspection and enforcement in the chemical industry.

Read this page if you are a manufacturer and/or supplier of chemicals. If you are also a user of chemicals you should read the related pages for users.

If you manufacture or import chemicals you are responsible for understanding and managing the risks associated with their use. Go to the REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation & restriction of CHemicals) for more information.

Manufacturers and suppliers of chemicals will also need to comply with the Chemicals (Hazard Information and Packaging for Supply) CHIP Regulations.

CHIP regulations are gradually being replaced by the European Regulation on Classification, Labelling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures – known as the CLP Regulation. The CLP Regulations applies in the UK and elsewhere in Europe and provide a Globally Harmonised System (GHS) for classification and labelling.

Plant protection products used in agriculture, horticulture and gardens, and Biocides such as rodenticides, wood preservatives, and disinfectants are subject to special controls. These controls include product authorisation as well as approval of their active substances at EU level.

Certain chemicals have to be notified to HSE if exported outside the EU, and some of these may require the Prior Informed Consent (PIC) of the importing country.

Where hazardous substances are stored in large quantities that could affect those in the vicinity of the plant there are requirements to reduce the possibility of accidental release and to mitigate the potential consequences. See COMAH for more information.

Further Information on inspection and enforcement of Health and Safety legislation in the chemical industry by HSE can be found in Chemical manufacture and storage

Is this page useful?