The role of Asbestos Licensing Unit
ALU's role is to set national standards for assessment and to encourage those involved in the assessment process to adopt a consistent line, to ensure standards are applied fairly and without prejudice.
The ALU team monitors the work of licence-holders across Great Britain by collating all the information received from all site visits and assessments. It then builds a performance history to inform the decision to renew/issue a licence to a particular licence-holder.
In addition to standard enforcement action the following sanctions are available to ALU to address licence-holder poor performance:
- the use of extra licence conditions eg the requirement to submit air monitoring results on a quarterly basis
- issue a licence for less than 3 years or reduce the licence term at any time
- the refusal to grant a licence on a permanent or temporary basis
- the revocation of a licence that prevents the contractor from carrying out licensed work altogether
- Asbestos: The licensed contractors' guide
- Managing and working with asbestos: Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012
- Asbestos: The survey guide