This website uses non-intrusive cookies to improve your user experience. You can visit our cookie privacy page for more information.

Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.


The day-to-day operations of the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority are carried out by the Adventure Activities Licensing Service (AALS) on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which is designated as the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA). For most routine enquiries, you will want to contact the Licensing Service.

AALS will be happy to receive your comments and questions but before you contact them, have you checked that the information you require isn't already on this site or the AALA web community?

Queries from providers

Queries from activity providers about whether they need a licence, about the licensing process or applications under consideration, initial representations about license decisions and technical enquiries should be made direct to the licensing service (details below).

Adventure Activities Licensing Service
44 Lambourne Crescent
CF14 5GG
029 2075 5715


Queries or complaints about individual licence holders should be made direct to the Licensing Service (details above). They will investigate complaints. If the matter is beyond their remit or ability to investigate, they will pass it on to the appropriate enforcing authority and will let you know that they have done so.

Complaints about the Adventure Activities Licensing Service should be made direct to the Authority at


If you are not satisfied with your initial representation to the Licensing Service about their decision, you may appeal to the AALA. If the Licensing Service rejects your representation, they will tell you how to appeal to the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority.

Other queries

These would include:

should be made to the AALA direct at

Updated: 2019-01-11