Tell us about a health and safety issue
Use this service:
- to report a health and safety issue in a workplace or public space in England. Scotland, and Wales
- if you have an enquiry about registering a high-rise building with the
Building Safety Regulator (BSR)
When to use this service
You may need to report your issue to a local authority or another enforcing authority. Check if this service is right for you.
How your information is used
Your name and contact information
We ask for your name, your phone number, and your email address. We need this information to:
- find out if we are speaking to the right person
- contact you for further information if it is needed
- let you know if HSE is not responsible for the issue
- let you know if no action needs to be taken
- let you know if action is taken
If you do not give us your phone number or email address, and there is not enough information in the report, we may not be able to do anything about your concern.
Who we share your name and contact information with
We only share your name and contact details with:
- people managing your issue at HSE including investigators
- police and other law enforcing authorities where the law says we have to, such as for a court case
Details about the issue
You can choose if we can share the issue with the business or organisation. This will allow us to look into the issue more effectively if there is an investigation. If this happens, we do not share who has reported an issue. We only share that someone has raised an issue with HSE.
A business or organisation may guess who has reported an issue even when no information is shared.
Answer all the questions unless they are marked optional.Start now
Before you start
In this service we ask you:
- if you have contacted us before
- if you are contacting us about coronavirus
- which sector your issue relates to
- what part of the UK your issue is in
- for your name
- what telephone number we can use to ask for more information
- what email address we can use
- what you want us to do, such as investigate an issue
- if we can share the issue with the business or organisation
- if there is risk of sickness, injury or death, if so who is at risk
- how long the issue has been going on and how long it will continue
- if you know the postcode
- for the first line of the address and the town or city, and what other details you have about the location
- if you know the business or organisation doing the activity
- if you know the person in charge at the location
- what your issue is
- if you have evidence, such as photographs
- if you can upload that evidence and tell us about what it shows
- how you relate to the issue
- if there are any aggressive people or animals at the location, or anything that might put inspectors in danger
Check what your employer should be doing to keep their workplace safe and healthy. Search by topic or industry.
Get help if you cannot report an issue online
You can contact us and we will fill in the form for you.
- Telephone: 0300 003 1647
- Telephone Building Safety Regulator: 0300 790 6787
- Monday to Tuesday, 8:30am to 5pm
- Wednesday, 10am to 5pm
- Thursday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
After you report your issue
We may call or email you for more information within 3 working days.
We aim to email you within 15 working days (3 weeks) to give you the outcome. You can contact us if you don’t agree with a decision.
How the law protects you
You may have protection under the law including against unfair dismissal. Read about protection for whistleblowers on GOV.UK.