Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Placement providers (employers)

Under health and safety law, work experience students are your employees. You treat them no differently to other young people you employ.

If you are advised to do something that is contrary to, or goes beyond, this guidance you can question it by contacting HSE's Myth Buster Challenge Panel

Your existing employers' liability insurance policy will cover work placements provided your insurer is a member of the Association of British Insurers, or Lloyds, so there is no need for you to obtain any additional employer's liability insurance if you take on work experience students.The ABI website confirms this.

What you need to do:

More information about managing risks is available in Health and safety made simple.

Find out more about work experience responsibilities.

Find out more about the specific factors for young people.

Updated 2020-11-02