Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Further advice

HSE’s homepage has information on topics to help your voluntary organisation decide what it needs to do about many common types of risk.

The phrase ‘health and safety’ is commonly used to refer to a number topics that aren’t covered by the Health and Safety at Work Act and its regulations, eg food safety and child protection. If you need to find out more about these subjects, you may find the following useful links helpful (the list isn’t exhaustive).

Useful links

The Office of Civil Society and The Scottish Government provide useful links to supporting bodies for voluntary and charitable organisations.

DirectGov has information about organising a small street party or fete. This links to a simple form for you to use, to let your local authority know about your plans.

The Department for Communities and Local Government is responsible for fire law in England and Wales. It has published practical and specific fire safety risk assessment guidance for small and medium places of assembly. The Scottish Government has also produced guides to help people with fire safety.

The Food Standards Agency provides guidance on how to make sure food is safe to eat.

Disclosure and Barring Service (was The Criminal Records Bureau) (for England and Wales) and Disclosure Scotland can help to inform organisations’ safer recruitment decisions.

The Charity Commission registers and regulates charities in England and Wales and the Office of the Charities Regulator in Scotland, offering advice and help to ensure they can be run as effectively as possible.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission publishes guidance on aspects of the Equality Act 2010.

Updated: 2019-10-30