Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.

Reporting and recording violent incidents

What should I report and who should I report it to?

Employers have a legal duty under RIDDOR regulations to make a formal report to the Incident Contact Centre if any of their staff experience a physically violent incident which results in death, major injury or absence from work for seven days or more.

Instances of violence and crime should also be reported to the police. Police use this data to identify hot spots and their interventions.

What should I record?

You should record incidents of work-related violence that you or your staff experience.


We know that, in general, staff don't record work-related violence because:

You need to try and overcome these obstacles by developing a recording system that is quick and easy to use, promote its use amongst staff, and demonstrate that you will act on the findings.

How should I record incidents of violence?

Updated 2020-08-03