Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.
Reducing drunkenness and drug use
- Make sure you have a policy on the sale of alcohol which includes arrangements for dealing with intoxicated customers. Ensure staff are aware of these arrangements, have the necessary skills and have received suitable training. Also make sure staff are supported by the management on the implementation of these arrangements.
- Manage drinking-up time.
- Use a calm approach - turn music volume down and raise lighting levels.
- Have a clear drinking-up policy that your staff understand and stick to, which highlights the common flashpoints when getting customers to drink up.
- Ensure you have a clearly displayed policy and information on illegal drug use within your premises and implement it.
- Display signs regarding drug awareness.
- Display your drugs search policy if appropriate, and ensure your security staff are trained in its use.