A busy family-run convenience store, in a small town opens daily from 8 am until 11 pm, and because it is situated on a main road it attracts a significant amount of passing trade.
- Robbery from staff and theft from the shop.
- Threats and abuse.
- Dealing with disorder.
Reducing the risk
Training and information
- Staff are trained in basic safety techniques. They are taught:
- not to put themselves at risk (eg don't resist robberies);
- to position themselves so they have an escape route; and
- to summon help immediately, if they need it.
- Staff are encouraged to give good service and have a positive attitude.
- The amount of high value goods in the shop is kept to a minimum.
- CCTV cameras have led to a successful prosecution for theft
- A large secure stockroom at the back of the shop holds high value stock.
- Valuable goods are displayed behind or close to the till.
- The till is located next to the shop entrance so that it can be easily seen from the street.
- Staff have a clear view of the entire shop and the street outside.