RR815 - Second evaluation of guidance for directors and board members
In October 2007, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Institute of Directors (IoD) jointly published guidance for directors encouraging them to lead on health and safety in their organisations; the publication was entitled ‘Leading Health and Safety at Work: leadership actions for directors and board members’ (INDG417)1.
A baseline study was conducted in 2008 to assess awareness and impact of the guidance among directors/ board members. The principal aims of the baseline study were to determine:
- The level of awareness of the guidance among its target market.
- How directors and board members heard about and accessed the guidance.
- The number of directors that have read the guidance.
- Whether the guidance is considered relevant and influential.
- Whether action has been taken (or planned) as a result of the guidance.
The HSE subsequently commissioned Databuild to repeat the evaluation with a different sample of directors in 2009 to enable comparisons to be drawn with the baseline study. Additional questions were included to explore directors’ leadership behaviour and their understanding of health and safety legislation.
This report and the work it describes were funded by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Its contents, including any opinions and/or conclusions expressed, are those of the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect HSE policy.
Assistance in the use of Adobe Acrobat PDF files is available on our FAQs page.