RR770 - A small survey of exposure to stainless steel welding fume
Specific aims and objectives for the project were:
- To visit a representative group of workplaces carrying out welding of stainless steel, scoping the various control strategies proposed in COSHH Essentials for welding, hot work and allied processes.
- To assess compliance with good occupational hygiene practice by:
- occupational hygiene observations;
- air monitoring for total inhalable particulate, total and hexavalent chromium, nickel and other metals; and
- biological monitoring for chromium and nickel.
- Make recommendations for improvements to controls and monitoring where appropriate.
This report and the work it describes were funded by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Its contents, including any opinions and/or conclusions expressed, are those of the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect HSE policy.
Assistance in the use of Adobe Acrobat PDF files is available on our FAQs page.