Are you a manufacturer/supplier of pressure systems?
The UK has left the EU, and some rules and procedures have changed.
Subject to certain exclusions, the Pressure Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016 (PE(S)R) make it an offence for a 'responsible person' to place on the market, put into service or otherwise supply pressure equipment and assemblies above 0.5 bar unless they:
- are safe
- meet essential safety requirements covering design, manufacture and testing
- satisfy appropriate conformity assessment procedures and are accompanied by a declaration of conformity
- carry the United Kingdom Conformity Assessment (UKCA) marking or, until 31 December 2022, the CE marking and other required information in English
Pressure equipment and assemblies within the scope of PE(S)R yet below specified pressure x volume thresholds must:
- be safe
- be designed and manufactured according to 'sound engineering practice'
- be accompanied by adequate instructions for use
- bear the appropriate markings
The responsible person
The 'responsible person' is defined in PE(S)R as the manufacturer or their authorised representative. Where neither the manufacturer nor their authorised representative is established within the UK, the 'responsible person' is the person who places the pressure equipment on the market or puts it into service.
The regulations do not apply to equipment and assemblies:
- set out in Schedule 1 to the Regulations
- exhibited at trade fairs, subject to certain conditions
- placed on the market before 29 May 2002 and which complied with the requirements legally applicable for placing on the market before 28 November 1999
- assembled on site and under the control, and for the use, of the user
- Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 (PSSR)
- Pressure Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
- The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009
- Simple Pressure Vessels (Safety) Regulations 2016
- Safety of pressure systems. Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000. Approved Code of Practice L122
- Pressure systems: A brief guide to safety Leaflet INDG261(rev2)
- Written schemes of examination: Pressure Systems Safety Regulations 2000 Leaflet INDG178(rev2)
- SAFed technical guides including ‘Guidelines for the examination of electrically heated café boilers’ and ‘Guidance for safe operation of boilers’
- UK Product Safety and Metrology - What’s changed from 1 January 2021 in relation to Great Britain?