HardSPEC: Surface and Ground Water Exposure Model
Brexit: Transition period
The UK has now left the EU. Your health and safety responsibilities have not changed in the transition period.
HardSPEC is a first-tier UK specific tool for estimating surface water and groundwater exposure resulting from herbicides applied to hard surfaces for use in assessing UK regulatory submissions for Plant Protection Products.
The model has three basic uses:
- Assessing surface water and groundwater contamination from typical professional use of herbicides on hard surfaces – uses PECsw&PECsed for urban stream, urban pond and major road stream, and PECgw from railway over groundwater. Note that this type of assessment can also encompass use on railways.
- Use by amateurs – uses PECsw & sed from Domestic stream.
- Exclusive use on railways - uses PECsw&PECsed for Railway ditch leaching and railway ditch runoff, and PECgw from railway over groundwater. Submissions for use restricted to railways have typically occurred where PECsw&PECsed from urban and rural water bodies from more general use on hard surfaces have failed the aquatic risk assessment and use may have to be limited (by the applicant) to use on railways.
The model has evolved from many years research; the following summarises the study reports which form the basis of the model and assumptions
- HardSPEC Guidance (pdf 125 pages)
- HardSPEC Guidance Appendices (pdf 48 pages)
- HardSPEC Summary Guidance (pdf 27 pages)
- HardSPEC Refinements (pdf 33 pages)
- Cranfield Small Catchment Report (pdf 26 pages)
- Environment Agency Road Wash Off Study (pdf 32 pages)
- Factors affecting the loss of six herbicides from hard surfaces (pdf 52 pages)
- Herbicide Partitioning to Concrete Asphalt and Railway Ballast (pdf 34 pages)
- Potential Contamination of Surface and Groundwaters Following Herbicide Application to a Railway (pdf 23 pages)
- Railway Track Study (pdf 36 pages)
- Urban_Pond_SUDS-modification_report (pdf 45 pages)
- Development of a Surface Water Exposure Module for the HardSPEC Railway Scenario (pdf 34 pages)
- Development of a home and garden scenario for HardSPEC: version 2 (pdf 53 pages)
- HardSPEC Excel Model – Version 184.108.40.206 - Latest version with bug and error corrections. To be used with new regulatory submissions after 04/06/18, the old version 1.4.2 should not be used.
- Pesticides A-Z
- Reporting Incidents
- Contacting CRD
- Regulatory Updates Index
- Information Updates Index
- Codes of Practice
- Pesticide/Plant Protection Product Databases
- Application forms
- Handling pesticide investigation and concerns