Commodity Substance: Formaldehyde
Brexit: Transition period
The UK has now left the EU. Your health and safety responsibilities have not changed in the transition period.
Health and Safety Executive
Food and Environment Protection Act 1985
Date of issue: 18 February 1993
Date of expiry: 14 May 2014
This Approval is Subject to the Following Conditions
Field of use
- As an insecticide in museums and buildings of cultural, artistic and historical interest;
- As a preservative in museums and buildings of cultural artistic and historical interest.
Pest and usage area
For the control of flying and crawling insects and fungi.
- Treatment in sealed containers;
- Storage in 5 -10% aqueous solution.
- A written Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment must be made before using formaldehyde. Operators should also observe the Maximum Exposure Limited (MEL) set out in Health and Safety Executive (HSE) guidance note EH40/99 or subsequent issues.
- Engineering control of operator exposure must be used where reasonably practicable in addition to the following items of personal protective equipment: Operators must wear suitable protective clothing, including protective gloves, eye protection and suitable respiratory protective equipment, when handling or applying the substance.
- However engineering controls may replace personal protective equipment if a Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment shows they provide an equal or higher standard of protection.
Other Specific Restrictions
- Operators should be provided with adequate information about the hazards of the substance and the precautions necessary for safe use. Sources of information include the supplier's Safety Data Sheet.
- Unprotected persons and animals must be excluded from any areas where treatment is taking place, and such areas should be ventilated after treatment.
- Must be used only by operators who are suitably trained and competent to carry out this work.
- Pesticides A-Z
- Reporting Incidents
- Contacting CRD
- Regulatory Updates Index
- Information Updates Index
- Codes of Practice
- Pesticide/Plant Protection Product Databases
- Application forms
- Handling pesticide investigation and concerns