Terms of reference
The Myth Busters Challenge Panel provides a mechanism for anyone (whether on behalf of a company or organisation, or as an individual) to challenge advice or a decision taken in the name of health and safety that they believe to be disproportionate or inaccurate.
- The panel will consider cases where advice is given by non-regulators (eg insurance companies, health and safety consultants, suppliers, contractors and employers) who quote health and safety as the reason to do or not do something, or where the challenger considers the advice be inaccurate or disproportionate.
- The panel will offer its opinion on whether the advice was correct and proportionate in terms of its interpretation of the requirements of health and safety legislation.
- The panel will not offer an opinion on the role of other regulators or consider challenges about issues that relate solely to another regulator.
- The panel will not consider cases where the health and safety regulator has made a decision - the Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel will deal with these.
- The panel will not consider enquiries for workplace health and safety concerns, complaints or advice. Guidance on how to raise a concern ,complaint or for advice on workplace health and safety is available.
How does the Myth Busters Challenge Panel work?
Members of the public and organisations will be invited to submit cases where they have been advised that they should or should not carry out an activity because of health and safety and they wish to challenge this advice.
- The panel will consider the overall facts of the case. The panel's findings will be made publicly available.
- The Challenge Panel Chair is supported by a pool of independent panel members who have a wide range of experience and backgrounds in managing risk on a day-to-day basis.
Free email updates
Sign-up below to receive news and updates from HSE.