How to reduce back pain
The physical demands of some tasks like manual handling, lifting, bending and driving heavy vehicles can trigger an episode or make an existing back pain worse.
Take steps to reduce the risk of back pain in the workplace.
- Think about how you can make jobs physically easier, eg by moving loads on wheels, providing better handles on loads, adjusting heights of worktops etc.
- Consult regularly with the employees on their health and wellbeing to help you identify concerns and developing trends.
- Take actions to address any outcomes from these discussions.
- Respond promptly when an individual worker reports back pain.
- Do risk assessments – and make changes where needed.
Visit the web pages for your industry for advice on workplace risks specific to your industry.
- Manual handling at work: A brief guide
- Managing upper limb disorders in the workplace
- Manual handling assessment charts
- Risk assessment of pushing and pulling (RAPP) tool
- Making the best use of lifting and handling aids