HSE’s ‘Risk-reduction through design’ Award
The 'Risk-reduction through design’ Award is sponsored by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Chartered Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors (CIEHF).
We want to inspire businesses to consider how ergonomics–based design changes can reduce the risks of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) and nominate design changes that have made a real impact.
HSE’s message continues to be that risks from musculoskeletal disorders must be controlled and that all employers should eliminate or reduce these risks at source where possible.
2019/20 award winners
Severn Trent Water (Utilities sector)
Network Rail (Railways sector)
Also commended in the 2019/20 competition was Network Rail for their redesign of equipment to eliminate manual handling in track points machine maintenance.
Make a nomination for 2020/21
You can nominate any design solution implemented in workplaces in the UK that have demonstrated how you have reduced musculoskeletal risks for your workers – we want examples that have made a real impact.
Design solutions that have reduced musculoskeletal risks to large numbers of workers will be attractive, but we are also looking for novel, innovative or niche solutions.
We welcome in-house or consultant-led design changes, but we would like businesses to make the nominations (not the designers).
What to include in your submission
You should submit your nomination on a maximum of 2 sides of A4 paper:
- The MSD problem - tell us about the task, work setting and the MSD issue you were trying to solve before the design changes. Include photograph(s) to illustrate your main points.
- Your solution - tell us who you worked with to design or develop your solution and what design changes were made. Include photograph(s) after the changes.
- The MSD benefit(s) - tell us about the MSD benefits and who has been affected by the changes.
- Any other benefits - this could be anything from other health or safety benefits, to productivity improvements, to environmental benefits etc.
- Details of worker participation - how did you involve workers in the process; do you have any quotes of what they thought of the changes?
- Your contact details - include your name, company, and contact details and the name of the organisation you worked with to make the design changes. Note: If the design changes were totally ‘in-house’ please indicate this.
Where to send your nomination(s)
Send your nomination to: [email protected] by 31 January 2021.
Design solutions across sectors
Examples of design solutions from across a range of industry sectors are listed below.
Don’t worry if an example in your industry sector is not here – take the opportunity to provide one and submit an entry! We want to hear from all industries.