How we work
The movement of goods often occurs along a supply chain. Each stage of the supply chain is enforced either by inspectors from the HSE or from the LA. LAs inspect retail premises, warehouses and wholesale distribution, whilst HSE inspects manufacturers, road haulage, pallet networks and home delivery firms. The MGS project aims to ensure that both the HSE and LAs take a consistent approach throughout the supply chain, particularly where areas of enforcement meet eg a retail supermarket carrying out home delivery.
HSE and LA Inspectors
Inspectors deal with health and safety risks in a number of ways including:
- onsite inspections (announced and unannounced);
- investigation of accidents and complaints;
- providing guidance and support at visits, by phone or at events;
- enforcement where necessary; and
- through awareness raising events and seminars.