Key actions in managing specialist help effectively
- Make adequate resources available to provide competent advice to your organisation
- Review the effectiveness of the arrangements for obtaining specialist help - poor or misinterpreted advice could have an adverse effect on your organisation
- Think about exactly what you need help with
- Make sure you have understood the advice given by the specialist, and that any solutions offered are sensible and workable
- Implement the advice - monitor its effect and review
- Meet with the specialist to discuss your requirements. It is essential that they have a good understanding of your organisation before offering advice
Worker consultation and involvement
Make sure the specialist or consultant works with workers or their representatives in assessing risk and establishing control measures
- How will you check that the specialist is the right person to help?
- Do they have experience in your type of work?
Find a consultant