Beta This is a new way of showing guidance - your feedback will help us improve it.
Key actions in learning lessons effectively
Leaders and managers
- Show by your actions that safety is a core value
- Promote a questioning attitude. Make sure you are not only receiving ‘filtered good news’ - do you welcome feedback and constructive challenge?
- Resolve ineffective procedures that result in ‘workarounds’ or violations of procedures
- Be clear about your organisation’s risk profile
- Make sure your workers understand the risks that are being controlled
- Avoid complacency - take responsibility for keeping your own knowledge and capability up to date
Worker consultation and involvement
- Discuss plans with workers or their representatives
- Avoid overburdening workers with initiatives
- Involve workers in organisational change
- Ensure that those providing top-level scrutiny have sufficient expertise to judge the importance of emerging health and safety issues and integrate those with other business decisions
- Contractors must be competent and there should be checks in place to ensure they remain so
- Take steps to avoid the loss of corporate memory