How to prevent dermatitis
Here's how to wave goodbye to bad hand days. Five small steps to prevent dermatitis becoming a big problem:
- Step 1: Wear disposable non-latex gloves when rinsing, shampooing, colouring, bleaching, etc.
- Step 2: Dry your hands thoroughly with a soft cotton or paper towel.
- Step 3: Moisturise after washing your hands, as well as at the start and end of each day. It's easy to miss fingertips, finger webs and wrists. See 'Skin care' for more information.
- Step 4: Change gloves between clients. Make sure you don't contaminate your hands when you take them off. See 'Correct removal of gloves' for more information.
- Step 5: Check skin regularly for early signs of dermatitis. See 'Skin checks' for more information.