Messages for salon managers
What you should know
- Up to 70% of hairdressers suffer some form of skin damage.
- Hairdressers are 17 times more likely to develop dermatitis than any other group of workers.
- Dermatitis is caused by contact with chemicals present in hairdressing products and prolonged contact with water.
- Dermatitis causes personal suffering
- Dermatitis is unsightly and unpleasant
- You can help prevent it - encourage your hairdressers / apprentices / students to look after their hands by wearing non-latex gloves, drying hands thoroughly and using moisturiser regularly.
- Overall, dermatitis is bad for business - cost of sickness absence, staff turnover and loss of clients, risk of legal action.
What you should do
- Look after hands by following the 5 simple steps
- Help to spread the word with some of our printable information
- Carry out regular skin checks [59KB]