Let's talk gas safety

At this time of year and with the recent cold weather, people will want to keep warm at home. But to keep safe as well as warm, it is important to make sure that your central heating boiler and all of your gas appliances are working properly.

Gas Safe Register content replaced CORGI Gas Registration on 1 April 2009 and is the only official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to do work on your gas boiler, gas cooker or gas fire. The list is there to help protect you from unsafe gas work and all gas engineers have to be Gas Safe registered by law.

HSE advises that you should have any gas appliances in your home checked once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Annual servicing not only helps keep your heating and hot water working properly, it helps keep you safe.

All Gas Safe registered engineers carry an ID card so they can show you they are Gas Safe registered when they turn up at your front door – if they don't show you then don't be afraid to ask to see it. Always check the card. You can also call Gas Safe Register free on 0800 408 5500 who can tell you if the gas engineer is on the list and qualified for the work you need them to do. Alternatively visit the Gas Safe Register website.