Who we are
Operating throughout GB, HSE is organised into a number of Directorates of which the largest is the Field Operations Directorate (FOD). FOD is the main operational arm of HSE and consists of HSE operational inspectors based in regional offices who inspect factories and other workplaces, such as construction sites and hospitals. HSE does not inspect shops and offices as these are inspected by Local Authority Environmental Health officers.
HSE operational inspectors
HSE inspectors generally deal with a wide range of industries, including food and drink manufacture. Irrespective of the particular industry, inspectors look at how the main health and safety hazards are managed on a day to day basis. Inspectors do this by a range of methods including:
- onsite inspections (announced and unannounced)
- investigation of accidents and complaints
- providing guidance and support at visits, by phone or at food industry events
- enforcement where necessary.
HSE Sector inspectors
In addition to operational inspectors, HSE has nine specialist Sectors based around the country, each dealing with a different major industry at national level. Each Sector comprises inspectors who liaise with trade associations, national representative organisations, trade unions, other Government departments etc.
Food and drink manufacture is covered by HSE's Manufacturing Sector which has a national role and has staff based in HSE offices around the country.
- A recipe for safety: Occupational health and safety in food and drink manufacture
- Moving food and drink: Manual handling solutions for the food and drink industries
- Case studies