- ManagersPlan loading and unloading to minimise work at height.
Supervise safe systems and use of access equipment.
- Vehicle buyersAvoid the need to work at height by choosing ground based controls.
Insist on slip resistant surfaces.
- WorkersDon't jump off vehicles. Always use steps and handholds.
Follow safe systems of work.
Report missing or damaged equipment.
Selecting the right sole for the surface and contamination type can prevent many slips. However, the wrong footwear can increase the risk of slips and trips.
When choosing footwear:
- Take advice from specialist suppliers
- Test different footwear to arrive at a good solution in terms of comfort, fit, durability and slip resistance.
- It is important to involve the workforce in choosing footwear, as they are the ones who will have to wear it.