Working with victims: HSE policy statement
The working with victims policy statement sets out the general principles HSE staff follow when working with victims. How these principles are put into practice and what the victim can expect from HSE is described in more detail in the Appendix. This policy applies to all contact with victims, from the start of an investigation to the end of any legal proceedings. The impact on the victim is given wider consideration than in the requirements under the Public Interest Stage in the Code for Crown Prosecutors in England and Wales, and Public Interest Considerations in the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service Prosecution Code in Scotland, which covers only prosecutions. HSE acknowledges that differences in the legal systems will incur operational variations in Scotland. However, the principles and spirit of this statement are followed so far as is practicable.
Help for those affected by work-related incidents
There are many useful sources of help and support including:
- Information from HSE for bereaved families in England and Wales
- Information from HSE for bereaved families in Scotland
- Gas safety - Carbon monoxide - help and support for those affected by carbon monoxide
- Citizens Advice – independent organisation that offers free and confidential advice and help.
- Cruse Bereavement Care – national charity offering free support to anyone who has been bereaved.
- Families Against Corporate Killers – offers understanding and support from similarly bereaved people.
- Lighthouse Club Benevolent fund – Charity helping workers in the building and civil engineering industry.
- No Falls Foundation – a charity dedicated to preventing falls from height and helping people affected by the consequences of a fall.
- The Royal Agricultural Benevolent Fund - Offering financial support to farming people in hardship.
- Witness Services – Part of Citizens Advice, offering advice and support on attending court proceedings.
- Victim Support – independent organisation that offers free and confidential support.