4. Social distancing
Talking to your employees will help you plan social distancing in your workplace to stop the spread of coronavirus.
Maintaining social distancing
Where keeping people 2 metres apart is difficult, you and your workers will need to talk about new ways to work.
Things to consider include:
- using floor markers to help people social distance
- limiting how many people do the same task at the same time
- redesigning tasks so one person can do them
- using screens between people to create a barrier
- staggering times people come into work or go home
- encouraging workers to use all entrances or exits to a building
- staggering meal or other breaks
You should also keep all work areas clean and provide handwashing facilities – supply hand sanitiser where it’s needed.
You must also make sure visitors to your workplace social distance. Your visitors might include:
- delivery drivers to and from your workplace
Ensuring visitors social distance may include:
- asking delivery drivers to wait in in a waiting area, or as a temporary measure, remain in their vehicles during loading and unloading
- limiting visitor times to a specific time window and restricting access to required visitors only
- allocating time slots for customers
Questions to ask your workers on social distancing
- Where is it difficult to social distance in our workplace?
- Where can’t we avoid close contact with others?
- How can we change our work tasks so people can social distance?
- How can customers and contractors help?
- What work tasks can’t we do while social distancing?
- Are there ways we can change the task?
- Are there tasks where we can’t we avoid close contact?
- What changes can we make to improve things?
- What can you do?
- What can your manager do?
- What can the company or organisation do?
Find out more
To help answer these questions, read our guidance on social distancing.
This page is reviewed regularly and updated to reflect any changes in the guidance.
Page last reviewed: 31 March 2021
Next review due: 30 April 2021