4. Bathrooms, toilets and washbasins
When completing your COVID-19 risk assessment, review the provisions you have in place to make sure they allow people (including visiting workers) to wash their hands frequently. Consider whether you need to provide any additional washing facilities.
To protect people when using existing washing facilities, you should:
- Identify all surfaces that require additional cleaning in bathrooms and toilets
- Make sure you provide running water and soap
- Provide hand drying facilities – paper towels, continuous roller towels or electrical dryers
- Empty bins frequently – where possible, have open-topped bin or foot-operated lids
- Use signs and posters to increase awareness of good handwashing technique
- Decide how and when to clean handwashing facilities and empty bins
- Decide who will replenish soap, paper towels and hand sanitiser
- Keep the facilities well ventilated, for example by ensuring extractor fans work effectively and opening windows and vents where possible.
Find out more
We have separate advice on social distancing in bathrooms, toilets and washing facilities.
This page is reviewed regularly and updated to reflect any changes in the guidance.
Page last reviewed: 15 April 2021
Next review due: 30 April 2021