4. Bathrooms, toilets and washbasins
When completing your COVID-19 risk assessment, review the provisions you have in place to make sure they allow people (including visiting workers) to wash hands frequently. Consider whether you need to provide any additional washing facilities.
To protect people when using existing washing facilities, consider the following:
- Identify all surfaces that require additional cleaning in bathrooms and toilets
- Make sure you provide running water and soap to enable people to clean their hands properly
- Provide hand drying facilities – paper towels or hand dryers
- Empty bins frequently to safely dispose of waste. Where possible have open-topped bin or foot operated lids
- Use signs and posters to increase awareness of good handwashing technique
- Decide how and when handwashing facilities will be cleaned and when bins will be emptied
- Decide who will replenish soap, paper towels and hand sanitiser
Find out more
We have separate advice on social distancing in bathrooms, toilets and washing facilities.
Page last reviewed: 31 December 2020
Next review due: 31 March 2021