4. Bathrooms, toilets and washbasins
When completing your risk assessment, review the provisions you have in place to make sure they allow people (including visiting workers) to wash their hands frequently. Consider whether you need to provide any additional washing facilities.
To protect people when using existing washing facilities, you should:
- keep the facilities well ventilated, for example by opening windows and vents, where possible and making sure any mechanical ventilation systems are working effectively
- decide how and when to clean bathrooms, toilet and handwashing facilities
- provide running water and soap
- decide who will replenish soap, paper towels and hand sanitiser
- provide hand drying facilities – paper towels, continuous roller towels or electrical dryers
- consider using signs and posters to increase awareness of good handwashing technique
Find out more
We have separate advice on working safely and control measures to consider as part of your risk assessment.
We review and update this page regularly to reflect any changes in guidance.
Page last reviewed: 19 July 2021
Next review due: 31 July 2021